Monday, February 12, 2007




After the victory at Anoeta, the coach of Real Madrid appeared before the press in his customary post-match presser. He was proud of the football displayed by his squad. "I never lost faith in my players," said the Italian manager, who also congratulated David Beckham on his free kick, stating, "His goal was essential for us. He's played a great game."



“I spoke with Beckham twice last week and only we know what we said to each other. Regarding my comment about his free kick efficiency, I said that he had not scored many set piece goals up to this point. However, today he scored an essential goal for us.”



“I have always said the same thing in my press conferences. I will repeat it again. Beckham is an intelligent person and he has always displayed a commendable attitude.” “Over the last few weeks, he has trained well and today he played a great match. I like to look ahead to the future instead of back to the past.”



“There was still a lot of time left in the game when they scored. I never lost faith in the players. They reacted perfectly. I thanked them all after the game for their performance tonight.”
“Yesterday, they asked me how I felt and I said that I was calm because I know the work I am doing here.


That is why we're still there. Our chances are intact and now we're looking ahead to the upcoming Champions League game. We want to do well in both competitions. I don't really mind what other people think.”



“It was a good game. I really liked the spirit. We started giving away a goal to Real Sociedad, but I liked the team. Our rival was physically strong and they are also fighting to avoid relegation, so that complicated things during the match."



“I saw the play where the fans demanded the second yellow card for Cannavaro and it would have been unfair. Cannavaro stopped in front of the player and he did not foul him. He stayed put and never stuck his foot in, as they claimed.”



Report by Luis NavarroPhotos by Ángel MartínezSpecial correspondents to Saint SebastianTranslation by Luis Orueta from real madrid official website

No comments: