Tuesday, December 25, 2007


Beckham: Capello Will Be Great For England

David Beckham has spoken of his delight at Fabio Capello's appointment as manager of England, and hopes to work under the Italian again.

Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham has stressed how much he is looking forward to the prospect of playing under Fabio Capello once more.

The Italian was appointed manager of England last week, and Beckham already knows him well from his time at Real Madrid.

"Fabio is one of the managers players look up to and want to manage them. I hope I'll be part of his plans," said Beckham to BBC Radio 2 during an interview that will be broadcast on Christmas Day.

"I think he is going to be great for the players and the England team."

Belief And Respect

It is widely - but wrongly - thought that Capello cast Beckham into the Madrid wilderness last season, but as the Englishman explained, the mutual respect and belief always remained.

"There were ups and downs with me and the manager at the time but he brought me back into the team and he had the belief in me to put me back in the team," said the former Manchester United man.


Real Madrid went on to win the Spanish league, but Beckham admitted he was disappointed to see Capello turfed out of the Bernabeu. "It gave me an amazing end and I was sad when he got the sack as I believe he had turned the club and the players around and given the fans what they deserved, a trophy.


Terrific Leader


"I think he is a great appointment for England," Beckham continued. "Everyone wants someone leading you that has respect and success. He has definitely got that in his career." Beckham is hoping to win his 100th cap for his country when England take on Switzerland at Wembley in February.

courtesy of goal.com

No comments: